Dear Massage Therapist,
Why do you do massage? What motivates you?
I’m going to guess that part of your answer is that you really care about people. You love to see the difference your treatments make, and to hear how the lives of your clients are improved. Maybe even transformed.
The last thing you want to do is turn anyone away from receiving this wonderful treatment.
But what happens when you have a client with a contraindication? Someone living with cancer or who has had cancer? Or any life limiting condition!
They may benefit from and appreciate massage therapy more than anyone else, but if you’re like many of my thousands of massage therapy students, these are the thoughts that come into your mind:
- “I can’t take the risk - what if my treatment makes them worse?”
- “Will my insurance still cover me if I treat a cancer patient?”
- “I’m going to need a doctor’s letter before treatment, and they’re such a hassle.”
- “I’ve heard that it’s safe for cancer patients to have massage therapy, but I’m just not confident in knowing what to do to make sure it’s helping and not harming. How long should the treatment be, how regular, how do I make sure the client is comfortable…”
Sounding at all familiar?
Maybe you’ve been through the pain of turning away a client because you just weren’t confident enough, and wished you could have been able to help. Perhaps it was a family member and you knew that if you just had a bit more knowledge you could have used your skills to make a huge difference to their comfort and treatment.
Or perhaps one of your regular clients got a cancer diagnosis and you really wished you could have continued to treat them so they didn’t have to go to a hospice and have someone unfamiliar, or miss out entirely because they couldn’t find a therapist who would treat them.
Because you truly care about people, these things matter.
Perhaps you’ve wished you could really feel confident and competent when it comes to cancer and massage therapy.
And never turn anyone away.
And help more people.
And wouldn’t it be great if you could also communicate confidently with a cancer patient and do a consultation knowing nothing has been missed and you are able to carry out a safe treatment that will actually help, and will be soothing and nurturing?
Well, that’s exactly what I created this course for. I believe in never turning anyone away, and in this course you can learn everything you need to never turn away anyone with cancer.
Here’s what you’ll gain
No more fear
You’ll understand how cancer spreads (hint: it’s not mechanical movements) so you’re armed with knowledge rather than uncertainty.
You’ll know how to carry out a safe treatment, and you’ll know you did everything right, so no feelings of worry or guilt.
You’ll learn how to adapt current massage techniques safely and learn new techniques in restorative touch, towel origami bolstering, lymphedema & DVT risk routines.
You’ll feel confident and competent, knowing you’re an oncology massage specialist due to the specialist knowledge you gain from the course.
You’ll have ongoing support from your tutor and the community of students, so the fear and confusion can’t come back - all your questions will be answered.
No need to do another oncology massage course
I keep up to date with everything in the industry by attending worldwide conferences and events - the information I gather will be passed directly to you via the online theory platform if you have chosen the Ultimate Oncology massage training.
Treatment plan formula
I’ll teach you my unique “APP formula” for consultations to remove any doubt or concern that you might do the wrong thing in treatment.
Better client focus
You’ll learn the right questions to ask so the client isn’t worrying during the treatment, they understand all the way through.
No impact on your insurance
The course is accredited so your insurance fully covers you.
Client consent template
You can download and use this simple template for getting consent from the client, so no need for a time-consuming doctor’s letter.
Oncology massage database
Once you’ve successfully completed the course, you’ll be added to my database of qualified oncology massage specialists, if you have chosen the Ultimate Oncology massage training.
So people looking for oncology massage can come to you.
Here’s how it works
The course is delivered with clear, professional video lessons which are easy to watch and follow, along with a course handbook so you also have everything you need in writing.
The Teachable platform makes it really easy to follow along and to keep track of your progress through the material.
You’ll progress through the training like this:
START with touch Oncology Massage Level 3 Vocational Training
This course is only available to qualified massage therapists with a level 3 minimum body massage & A&P qualification.
Level 1 - Online Theory
Work your way through each lesson in order, completing the assessment quizzes.
Quiz Sections are in these lessons
- Can massage spread cancer?
- What are cancer cells?
- Types of cancer and causes
- Understand the process of cancer and how it spreads
- Types of surgery involved
- Understanding the side effects of surgery
- External Radiotherapy
- Understanding different types of Radiotherapy
- Understanding the effects of Radiotherapy
- Understanding different types of Chemotherapy
- Understanding the effects of chemotherapy on the body
- How to use the App formula for contraindications
- Safe hygienic practices!
- When to glove up!
- Learn how to make your client super comfortable
- Quadrant & directional strokes
Once you've completed
- the last quiz in lesson "Quadrant & directional strokes"
- completed the enrolment form
- and sent a copy of your level 3 massage & Anatomy & Physiology certificate and it has been approved
Your reserved assessment date will be confirmed and you'll be sent an email finalising your booking.
Level 2 - Practical Day Assessment
- Prior to your practical level 2 Oncology massage assessment please finish watching all the lessons.
- Practical assessment will take place via two 60-90 minute zoom classes and your link will be sent to you via email.
- Bolstering Supine & Restorative touch assessment 1100-1200 or 1400-1500 or 1830-1930
- Andy/Bethany Oncology massage treatment assessment 1100-1230 or 1400-1530 or 1830-2000
- Both assessments need to be completed to gain your Level 2 qualification, pick a date for Supine Bolstering and the Andy/Bethany assessment. This can be done on different days and there are a few options to do both assessments on the same day.
Upon reflection after we held our first zoom class way back in May 2020, Maureen & Trudy really loved the small groups but also the 1-2-1 sessions and if you have any specific dates and times in mind that may be more suitable for you, please send us an email to [email protected] and we may be able to accommodate a 1-2-1 assessment session for you.
It is important to us that you get the one to one you deserve, that's why we only take small classes of no more than 4-6 students at our venues or on our live zoom classes.
Live online assessment via zoom class checklist
- Model (does not need to be someone with or had cancer for the class), and massage couch, chair or stool if preferred.
- Sufficient bedding, towels, pillows, blankets to perform bolstering techniques.
- Hand sanitiser, wipes.
- Extra equipment- PPE (dependant on model, their treatment etc. and Covid-19 guidance)
- Good internet connection
- Up To date browser
- Camera and microphone functioning on (earphones/ headphones optional)
Important to practice and prepare before class
- Positioning of camera for assessment- to allow your tutor to see you and the whole bed.
- Watch the restorative touch and bolstering lessons and practice the routine and towel origami bolstering techniques in preparation for your assessment.
- Familiarise yourself with Andy & Bethany's consultation and lesson. Watch the risk of lymphedema routine, Risk of DVT routine and bolstering lessons and practice the routines and towel origami bolstering techniques in preparation for your assessment.
Your ready now!
- Grab a cuppa and log into zoom class meeting.
- Position your camera on yourself at this time, your model will be needed in approximately 15 mins.
- Introduce yourself and share why you wanted to learn oncology massage with other like minded therapists on the course.
- Time to ask your tutor any questions
- Get ready for your assessment, prepare model and position camera to yourself working around the massage couch. Your tutor may ask you to reposition your camera if they cannot observe you clearly. Please prepare and practice your set up before class.
Bolstering Supine & Restorative touch assessment Assessment 60 mins
Your Tutor will talk you through and guide you through every step of restorative touch routine, this will last around 30 mins, after the supine bolstering techniques have been assessed.
You will need to demonstrate the following bolstering techniques, make sure you have enough towels etc.
- Princess Leia head support
- Leg triangle pillow stack
- W- Leg bolster
- W-Ankle bolster
- Swaddle wrap
- Arm bolster
Remember to practice ahead of your class, your own start and end of your restorative touch treatment where you clearly instruct your client to use their breath and even add in a guided thought, instruction or meditation.
You will need to demonstrate the following during the restorative touch routine:
- Clear start and finish instructions using breath work.
- Your tutor may ask your client for feedback during and or after the treatment as part of the assessment.
- Your tutor will ask you for feedback during and or after the treatment as part of the assessment.
Your Tutor will talk you through and guide you through every step of restorative touch routine, we will all be working together this will last around 30 mins. Enjoy!
Andy/Bethany Oncology massage treatment assessment Assessment 90 mins
Your Tutor will instruct you to demonstrate an Oncology massage routine based on Andy & Bethany as clients. This will last around 50 mins.
You will need to demonstrate
- Appropriate bolstering techniques, make sure you have enough towels etc.
- Massage in side-lying position.
- Demonstrate correct pressure, full hand contact
- Demonstrate risk of lymphedema routine
- Demonstrate risk of DVT routine
After successfully completing the level 2 practical assessment, your tutor will be on hand to support you to complete your case studies.
You also have lifetime access to our closed facebook tribe.
Level 3 - Mentored Case Studies
Complete 3 case studies
Congratulations, you’re now a Qualified Oncology Massage Specialist!
A one to one mentoring follow up call will be scheduled after successful completion of your level 3.
Supporting our students is top of our list.
Dates for Live online assessments are now available. Maximum of 4 students to each live zoom assessment.
Get ready to return to work with your new Specialist skilled Oncology massage therapist qualification- Never turning anyone away again including those living with life limiting conditions. Thank you for the valuable work you do!
Extra November dates have been added.
We will be taking a holiday from live assessments in December and January. New dates from February 2022
* Wednesday 10th November 2021 1830-1930 Online Zoom Supine Bolstering & Restorative Touch
* Friday 12th November 2021 1100-1230 Online Zoom Andy/Bethany Oncology Massage
* Sunday 14th November 2021 1100-1230 Online Zoom Andy/Bethany Oncology Massage Treatment - 2 places left!
* Sunday 14th November 2021 1400-1500 Online Zoom Supine Bolstering & Restorative Touch - 2 places left!
More dates coming soon, these may be the last teaching dates with Maureen.
Places are limited to 4 people on Maureen's courses.
ALL FACE TO FACE TRAINING DATES ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE FOR THE SAFETY OF YOU AND OUR STAFF.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic restrictions on our industry. The accreditors FHT and ABT have approved live online assessment for your level 2 course.
Scroll down for more information on Venue practical date updates.
The Level 3 course format has also been revised with online lectures, videos that you'll have life-long access to, just like revisiting your class again again whenever you need a wee refresher. So even better than attending a class for a day, let's face it we always forget something or wish we could see that demo again.
When face to face training at venues resume again, it will be for assessment only, the same format as the live zoom assessments with both Restorative touch and Andy/Bethany assessment on the same day. 1030-1400
Checklist when attending venues- What do I need to bring on the practical day?
1 set of bed linen,( 2 large towels, bed cover and 1 or 2 hand towels)including 1 pillow/bolster. If you are travelling from another country, find out what linen you can borrow from your accommodation. When registering for your practical day, you will be asked if you are able to bring all the items on the list. If you are able to transport extra pillows or linens, this will be helpful too. All our venues have close parking and drop off points for loading.
Wear loose comfortable clothing, tunics are not compulsory.
You can contact us by email at [email protected] if you require any in-house salon or spa training, additional dates or would like to host a course at your venue. Looking forward to supporting your massage journey.
START with touch, 8 Meadow Street Falkirk, FK1 1RP
The old courthouse, The full spectrum centre, Chapel Street, Dukinfield, Greater Manchester, SK16 4DY
Kinetic Clinic, 8 Town End Road, Ecclesfield, Sheffield S35 9YY
Together Against Cancer Charity, Troon Way Business Centre, Humberstone Lane, Leicester, LE4 9HA
Leicester Melbourne, South Derbyshire Venue
The Norwich wellbeing centre, 15 Chapelfield East, Norwich,NR2 1SF
If this sounds like the course you've been looking for, then please sign up on this page to start your oncology massage journey. I'm really looking forward to helping you to gain this specialist knowledge and these valuable skills.
P. S. You might like to know that I will be donating part of the proceeds from this course to charities, specifically those that need funding to carry out complementary therapy treatments.
P. P. S. Got questions? Check out the FAQ section below for lots more detail.
I’ve have been to Maureen for courses and she is an amazing teacher, patient, understanding & helpful. I was a bit anxious about the courses but nope she relaxed me straight away. Thanks your a star
Claire Black- Rest And Be Tranquil
I have completed 2 courses with Maureen so far. she is an amazing lady. So full of knowledge and experience and love. She has given me so much encouragement and support to follow my dream, very inspirational. Thank-you very much Maureen and I'll definitely be signing up for more courses in the future. xx
Lucy Rogerson- The Hidden Sanctuary, Holistic Therapies by Lucy
Have recently started Oncology Massage course with Maureen and the practical session was great ...she really knows her stuff and the enthusiasm was immense. Can't wait to complete the course and look forward to further training with Maureen. She is so supportive too. Thank you
Get started now!
Maureen Bonner is an experienced oncology massage expert since 2001 and has been recognised by the industry's regulating associations for her inclusive and supportive teaching style and contribution to the Education of Complementary therapies and Oncology Massage by the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT) Tutor of the Year 2018 Finalist at the FHT Excellence awards.
It all started in the year 2000 when she trained in Complementary therapies and Beauty Therapy.
Ironically she's spent the past 20 years of her career, researching and providing treatments to those with cancer and life limiting conditions and complex health needs, resulting in START with touch Oncology massage level 3 vocational training becoming a recognised qualification in the industry, accredited by FHT and ABT and she has taught all over the world.
Now Maureen is advocating from a patient/ clients point of view as she applies all her expertise into symptom managing her condition using various complementary therapies, reducing the amount of medication and severity of reactions and symptoms from her terminal rare interstitial lung disease.
Early in her career she volunteered at a local hospice where she worked along with medical professionals to show the benefit that massage and other complementary therapies had on the wellbeing of patients. At the same time, she was able to show that massage therapy helped with various symptoms that cancer patients were going through with the effects of their treatments.
Maureen has also been involved in working with the elderly in nursing homes with patients suffering from dementia and Alzheimer’s. Other groups she has worked with include the local fibromyalgia group, people with sight, hearing and speech impairments, and various other groups which support people with a number of disabilities. She also has a massage clinic, the Holistic Clinic which she has been running for over 10 years. Before that, she operated a mobile therapy clinic which was also involved in corporate work throughout the Central Scotland area. Through this, she delivered therapies and health relief functions, meditation sessions and mindfulness lectures. Furthermore, she is also a practicing Nicherin Buddhist and this is where her passion for inclusiveness comes from.
Throughout her career she has continued to develop herself professionally, obtaining many certificates in training on various massage skills, learning Eastern methods as well as advanced Western methods. She also works with energy, been involved with crystals from a very young age, (around the age of 5) and meditation. She is also a Reiki and Seichem Master.
Maureen tells an up to date story here on YouTube why you see her wearing an oxygen canula, and in her own words her "big baw face" appearance has changed because of the life saving medication she is on to help extend her life, enabling her to have even one more extra day joyfully living doing what she loves most. Supporting and teaching others within the complementary therapy industry.
Maureen is looking forward to being your tutor and helping you fulfil your ambitions as she has hers, and welcomes the opportunity to share her knowledge and enthusiasm with you while supporting your journey and helping you to achieve your dreams.